Monday 20 October 2014

Artist Research - Phillippe Starke



‘As a child I never liked school, however, I loved dogs. Should I have met this learned dog at that time, I would have become a scholar, too.

But I missed the occasion and unfortunately the learned dog exists now only for children. Too late.’ 

Phillippe Starke, www.starck.com

Le Chien Savant is a single table and seat combination in the shape of a dog, with the tail making up the back of the chair and the head and ears have been morphed into the table top. Although it doesn't say it on the website by the look of it Le Chien Savant looks like it’s made from a dense plastic.

I do like this piece as I am a dog lover myself and think this would look great in a children’s study space. I know as  child this would have encouraged me to sit down and learn something, and I too sympathise with Starke’s quote from the website, which I have put at the top of this page. I really enjoy the concept of making something everyday and a little boring into something fun and exciting to entertain children and to encourage them to learn. I bit I dislike is that the table top looks a bit odd and inorganic, but having said that I don't think I would be able to do a better job, as if you made the tabletop any smaller to make it look better, the function of it would decrease.

Having not seen the object myself I don't think I can judge whether it is well made or not, however it looks dense and durable, which would be perfect for its intended use. The dog is aimed for children, obvious in its size and its bright colour choices, as it’s available in yellow, black, orange and pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment